Can a City Girl like myself really survive the Midwest? Join me in as I chronicle my move from Chicago to Lake Orion, Michigan highlighting the best of what the Great Lakes Region has to offer.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Big Not So Easy

Making a decision to move is never easy. We spent weeks making up lists in our heads as to why we should or shouldn't move. We've only been in Chicago for two short years, and now it seems we are searching for free boxes on Craiglist yet again for another move. This time, the move takes us further east to Lake Orion, MI. My husband's hometown where he grew up swimming in lakes, fishing in ponds and occasionally hunting for deer. Quite a contrast from my childhood in Westminster, CA where I learned to swim in an apartment complex, took the bus to the mall and spent most summer afternoons movie hopping at Edwards Cinema. We've had quite the opposite upbringing, but I'm trusting my gut when it tells me I should give the suburbs a try.


We're leaving a great apartment in Lakeview. It's just close enough to Boystown to be fabulous and just far enough away from the loud and obnoxious Cubs fans of Wrigleyville. Four blocks from Lincoln Park, and just another few more steps to the lakefront. A block from DSW, Trader Joe's and Caribou Coffee. Quite frankly, I was in heaven. But the good news is, suburbia will offer me the same exact stores. I just won't be able to walk or ride my bike to them. The ease of walking, biking, or taking public transportation is a great asset to living in the city. I only learned this while living in Chicago. It's quite the opposite in Los Angeles, where having a car is an absolute necessity. You'd never leave your house if you didn't have a car in LA. The same rules apply to Lake Orion, MI where a car will once again be in my future. Guess I should see what Craigslist has to offer since that's actually where I sold my seven year old Toyota Corolla for $8,000 upon leaving LA.

In the meantime, while I can still enjoy the CTA, I'll be taking trips downtown on my favorite train: The Brown Line. Part of the "L" train system, I can take the Brown Line from my apartment and enjoy the city sights from above ground. It's definitely one of the best ways to take in the skyline and it only costs $2.25. Not only does it serve the Loop, but it also makes a loop in downtown so if you missed your stop the first time, you can take it around and get off a few stops later without getting lost. It's clean, it's cheap, it's fast; it's the easiest trip I've ever taken. I hope the move to Lake Orion will be just as easy.

View from the L Train from John Hancock Building to Trump Tower
On the L going over the Chicago River




No comments:

Post a Comment